Since 1826 – celebrating our 187th year in 2013 -- Union Bethel has grown and served the Randallstown, Maryland community. The Early Church paved the way for us today. We will forever remember our Elders with pride. They loved and cared for us, and passed a cherished heritage on to us. Our Elders educated us and opened our eyes to the beauty of our past and the hopefulness of our future.
We give thanks to the Lord, and the founders of this congregation, where faithful people gather each week to sing, pray, and serve. We are proud of the rich legacy and heritage of Union Bethel, proud to be African Methodist Episcopal.
Pastoral Leadership in the Early Church
Rev. Crawford • Rev. Greenage • Rev. A.A. Murray • Rev. Charles Murray • Rev. J.R. Nelson
Rev. M. Barnum • Rev. James M. Boston • Rev. Goings • Rev. J.G. Martin • Rev. Robert Ford • Rev. Young
Rev. James M. Boston (1925-1931) • Rev. L.C. Curtis (1932-1939)
Rev. P.A. Scott (1931-1944) • Rev. Joseph Garner (1944-1946)
Rev. D.A. Makell (1946-1948) • Rev. W. J. Dunlap (1948-1950)
Rev. William N. Edwards (1950-1961) • Rev. Leroy c. Brown (1961-1969)
Rev. Willie K. Woods (1970-1974) • Rev. J.G. Barnes (1974-1980)
Rev. Henry Y. White (1980-1984)
Rev. Charles T. Sembly (1984 to Present)
Bishop William P. DeVeaux, Sr., Presiding Prelate Second Episcopal District AMEC
Dr. Patricia Morris DeVeaux, Episcopal Supervisor
The Reverend Dr. Ronald E. Braxton, Presiding Elder, Potomac District
Official Website of the African Methodist Episcopal Church
The Reverend Mark Tyler, Pastor, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Union Bethel Historical Timeline
A parcel of land was set aside in Randallstown, Maryland for Negro families to use as a church
Good Hope Church was constructed and organized. It was also known as “Little Log Church.”
Union Bethel (“Little Log Church”) unites with the A.M.E. Church and was assigned to the Baltimore Conference.
Bro. Reuben Stewart emerged as leader of Little Log Church. St. Thomas Society
A new church structure was completed and the first written deed to the land was obtained. Later, the church was severely damaged by fire and rendered unusable until 1881.
The first mortgage was taken on the church.
Rev. James M. Boston was appointed pastor. Electricity was installed in the church.
Rev. Leroy Brown was appointed pastor and developed the music ministries. He also established a Building Plan.
Rev. William N. Edwards was appointed as pastor. He was instrumental in bringing a sense of family and purpose to the church. Union Bethel was assigned to the Washington Conference in 1952.
A new church structure was built. The new church was dedicated on April 14, 1968.
Rev. Willie K. Woods was appointed pastor. Rev. Woods led the church to burn the mortgage on October 3, 1971.
1974 - 1980
Rev. J.G. Barnes was appointed pastor. The first Lay Organization was formed.
Rev. Henry Y. White was appointed pastor. He led Union Bethel to purchase its first parsonage.
Union Bethel became part of a three-church circuit called the Randallstown Circuit.
Rev. Charles T. Sembly was appointed pastor. Membership blossomed from 200 to over 1,200 members.
The property at 8615 Church Lane in Randallstown, Maryland - a former synagogue - was purchased.
Union Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church stands today with over 1,200 members and more than 45 ministries dedicated to serving Christ.